From wearing your boots to choosing the right gear, here are the best tips on how to save space while packing. Ready to up your travel game?
If you’re a nomad, you will agree with me on this. Packing light is a must if you don’t want to end up with a terrible backache, or worse, forced to leave things behind in the middle of your trip.
Today we will share with you 11 secrets for saving luggage space from the experts at the Mayan Monkey Hostel.
- Wear your bulkiest. If you need to bring bulky stuff, like a jacket or boots, wear them instead of packing them. And if you need to pack them, use the free space inside of them to pack some socks.
- Easy on the shoes. Always think twice when packing the third pair. Do you really need more than two options? Ok, perhaps you do, but try to keep it as simple as possible. Shoes are the bulkiest of all essential travel items.
- Bring leggings to save space. Ladies can save room by packing leggings instead of jeans or other heavier materials. Leggings are super light and easy to pack—plus are super comfy.
- Less is more. Bring few outfits and try to do laundry even if you’re on the road. Look for hostels that offer laundry facilities, like Mayan Monkey!
- Be a light-packer. Pack mostly simple and light materials that you can wash easily. And try to…
- Bring detergent in a small container (if it’s environmentally friendly, even better) to wash and get anything cleaned in any bathroom sink when needed. This way you can pack less and still wear clean clothes throughout the whole trip.
- Trim the extra air. You can save up to 80% of baggage space by using compression bags. I know, plastic is a no-no, but if you already have them or can borrow some. These are a basic.
- Pick the right gear. Yes, size matters, at least in bags. And believe me, bags do matter. Make sure to do your research and find the right one for your travel needs.
- Go for the small. For your toiletries, try to use only 3oz bottle sizes. You can pick up whatever extra item you need once you get to your destination.
Finally, here’s our top packing hack: The best tip you can get on how to efficiently pack your clothing is to use the army roll method. It takes up a little more time than folding but it’s worth it. Roll all your items. Basics like pants, tees, shorts and leggings can easily be rolled and you’ll be saving tons of space.
And remember, if you’re on the road and decide to visit Mexico pop by the Mayan Monkey Hostel, the best hostel in Mexico.
Keep wandering the world!